We have recently changed our domain from https://abouthack.com to https://libretips.com. As a result all the traffic from our old domain is being redirected to this domain.

possible to connect a USB external hard drive to an Android?

All about android phones.
i_amlegend

possible to connect a USB external hard drive to an Android?

Post by i_amlegend » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:32 am

Hello, I have an Android phone, and can easily get a USB external hard drive to host media files. Is it possible to buy the correct cables to convert the micro-usb of the phone to the mini-usb of a typical hard drive? And will it work from Android software perspective? Thank you.

i-conica

Re: possible to connect a USB external hard drive to an Andr

Post by i-conica » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:34 am

Hmmm. Interesting idea. Unfortunately I think not. The USB on the phone is configured as a peripheral device, so when you plug it into your computer it looks like a disc drive. I don't think it works the other way around. That said, it may be possible that someone has reconfigured android so it can work the other way. Anyway, you have piqued my curiosity, so I will probably take some time and see what I can find - I have a Nexus One myself. If I find anything, I'll post it here.

i017535

Post by i017535 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:39 am

This is actually a very interesting idea though I am not site sure this would be something that would be available on the current implementations we are seeing on phones. It would different to have it function as a USB port as well. As it clearly works the other way around.

But probably through a custom interface, this would more likely be made available.

i020590

Post by i020590 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:42 am

Possibly, sort of. It depends on what type of 'phone you have as to how easy it is. Phones that have the lapdock option automatically get 2 USB ports from the factory when they are plugged into a lapdock. They read SD cards in a USB adpater and USB thumb drives just fine. I've recently installed an full Ubuntu distro on mine. I can still access thumb drives and SD cards just fine, but now they won't unmount correctly. The thing is, now I can see my external drive - I just can't access it yet. Since it's an actual Linux distro, I'm pretty hopeful that I can get the right drivers for it and be good to go.

If you can get a lapdock, a lot of the work is done for you. If not, someone with enough determination might be able to cobble together an adaptor and drivers and a patch to run webtop, etc., etc., etc... But it might take the same amount of determination that it took to get to the moon.

i0null

Post by i0null » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:45 am

Probably not without a LOT of hacking. The lapdock is a Motorola thing. It uses the HDMI output for the display and USB for the I/O so, in theory, if you had both of those, and you were REALLY knowledgeable, you might be able to hack something together. Or you could spend about $100.00 on a Droid Bionic on eBay.

i18nde

Post by i18nde » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:47 am

I just found out that there is a cable for just what you are talking about. It is called "USB on the go" and you can get them for like $10.00. I believe they are designed for tablets, but they are designed for Android, so you should be able to get it to work.

i2ambler

Post by i2ambler » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:50 am

I've just found this thread while researching this exact issue.

I want to be able to play the video (mp4) files from my car dashcam's SD card on my HTC Desire HD phone while I'm out & about.

To this end, I have ordered these two items from Amazon:

1: USB A 2.0 female to Micro USB B male Connector Adapter (by Generic) £2.65
2: Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader (by Integral) £2:04

They haven't landed on my doormat yet but as soon as they do, I'll let you all know how I get on.

My phone has Ice Cream Sandwich on board so I was properly happy to read Ahseyo's comment above.

i2landscape

Post by i2landscape » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:52 am

Bad news folks.

It doesn't work.

The phone doesn't see the sd card at all. My file manager only shows the internal micro sd card.

Ah, well. There are more ways to skin a cat ...

I'm going to get an sd card adapter which will accept a micro sd card. Using that in my camera will allow me to record onto a micro sd card. Then I can shove that into my phone directly. TADA!

i3rianl

Post by i3rianl » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:55 am

Already ordered a Samsung 16GB Class 10 Micro SDHC High Speed Memory Card with SD Adapter from Amazon.

Also getting quite a collection of various USB gizmos now haha. I do wish computer manufacturers would make their mind up about which way up their ports should be! Grrr!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Android Phones”